Sunday 27 March 2011

All the little things

I’ve figured out why I never read at home. It’s got to do with the fact that I would rather watch television, and the fact that I sometimes travel to a coffee shop just to read, and to do with the fact that I think the coincidence of my A Level results and last years’ political excitement were significant. If the election hadn’t happened, I wouldn’t have become obsessed with politics, and I wouldn’t have done all my A Level revision with BBC Parliament running in the background.

I need noise around me. I don’t mean music, or lawn mowing. I mean people talking – be it the television, the radio, the coffee shop chatter or the house of commons balderdash, I get bored after a few pages if there’s no background people blabber. I don’t just get bored, but I feel empty and unfulfilled and sad – how silly is that? – when I read a book in a silent room.

Anyway… I have a sort of job. It’s not really anything special, it’s just babysitting for 8 hours a week, but since nobody else seemed interested it’s what I’ve got to stick with. The baby is sweet and the family nice so I don’t foresee any major problems.

I just have to try out the local coffee shop. ‘Cause I can’t keep going into the town centre just to read my book!

It may also have something to do with the fact that the books I read are largely dry German literature. I want to get some proper fun books!

Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments?