Thursday 9 December 2010

Advent 2010 IX: Ready to Say Goodbye

I’m off tomorrow, and I think that saying good-bye has never been easier… But I know that when I’m in Reykjavik, my access to the internet will be briefer and more infrequent than it is at present. So partly as a celebration of my last day, and partly to make up for all the days I expect I’ll miss, I took a photo an hour today to show you how I spent it. I hope you enjoy the photos, and the song above which is currently my earworm.
DSCF4505My alarm was set for 8:00, as it has been for over a month. And for over a month I have not been out of bed before 9:20.
DSCF4506Last Adventbreakfast of this style, and I ate a roll with Nutella. The world outside has been eaten by fog.
DSCF4509Writing letters and birthday cards to friends and family. ‘Shanastasia Olavale’ is of course not a real name; it’s a mixture of two of my friends who are so close they’re practically one person!
DSCF4514Setting my earphones in their rightful place, ready to listen to outpourings from the world of British comedy as I go one a walking mission to Selfoss.
DSCF4515Stopping off at Lóa’s shop to have a cup of coffee.
DSCF4516After trying to buy Euros at the bank (and being rudely repulsed as I have no flight ticket to a Eurozone country!) I posted the letters I had written earlier.
DSCF4517The fog has really eaten planet Iceland! You should be able to see a mountain! Walking through the fog in utter silence and solitude, I pretended first that I was a deity and I had just created the world and I was the only person and the birds flying through the air were only there because I had just invented  them with a thought a moment before and that this small foggy patch of land was all there was in the whole of existence. When that got boring I pretended I was playing Myst or Riven, because it felt like one of those hyper-realistic RPG games. I love Myst and Riven.
DSCF4524Then my brain went WAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH PACKING. I was shaking the whole time… but that might be because I’d had three cups of coffee an hour or so before.
DSCF4526All packed! it only took one and a half hours. The reason is I didn’t have to spend ages deciding what to take or what to leave. It just all went in. And I made it fit.
DSCF4527Fini! Fertig! Búin! Done.
So, wish me luck and see you soon.
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Fröhliche Weihnachten & Gleðileg Jol!
xxxF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments?